[pmmail-list] PMInews

Phil Kane pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 10:43:41 -0700 (PDT)

  A "shotgun" reply.....

>         Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 23:31:51 +0200
>         From: "Gunnar Anzinger" <a@gksoft.com>

>> Where does that leave PMInews?
>
>Interesting question. Are there any PMInews users here?

  Most definitely, here's one.

>         Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 18:12:50 -0400 (EDT)
>         From: "Gregory L. Marx" <Gregory.Marx@verizon.net>

>Newsreaders are being used less and less as time goes on ...

 OH?  I just doubled the number of newsgroups which I read at least
 daily when I added the eCS groups to my other work- and hobby-related
 groups.

>as is dedicated email software ...

 Only by folks who enjoy using a browser (graphics-based reader) to
 read text-based messages.

>Not to mention the fact that people EXPECT their internet software to
>be free since Microsoft gives away their Internet Explorer suite ...
>which as we know includes a newsreader and an email client ...

 In that example ONE GETS WHAT ONE PAYS FOR

>and we mustn't forget that MS & Windows is something like 95% of
>the marketplace ...

 <retch>

 Is that a justification for mediocre-quality software?

>So we have to scrape on by with what is offered to us by the Blueprint
>Software Works of the world ... that is, smallish ISVs that can try real
>hard to provide a good solid product ... where even having just a few
>percent of the marketplace can result in a wildly successful product ...

 And support them we must.

>For the rest of the big players, email and newsreaders are throw away
>items ...

 With the "quality" of the 99-cents-for-a-dozen ballpoint pens which I
 cannot write with.....

>It sucks but it's the way it is ...

 Only if we let it be that way.

>         Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 22:41:09-0400 (EDT)
>         From: "Gregory L. Marx" <Gregory.Marx@verizon.net>

>Well then ... maybe after eCS sells a few million copies someone with
>have enough money to buy the rights to PMINews ...
>Until that happens... we should support the few remaining newsreaders
>there are for eCS/OS2 ...
>
>My vote goes towards ProNews ...

  I tried ProNews the other day when I thought that I was having
  problems with PMINews (it was actually a problem of my ISP giving me
  bad newsserver login information).

  I insist on using applications (mail, news, ZTree, etc) which use an
  external editor.  My "designated editor" is The Semware Editor, nee
  QEdit, an old-line app which I have configured with all my personal
  look-and-feel and editing macros that I have developed for it over
  the years.  TSE is available in several major native OS versions,
  including OS/2, and is small enough to fit on a single floppy if
  need be.

  PMMail and PMInews are two readers which can accept the external
  editor.  ProNews, Netscape, and others that I have seen/tried cannot.
  It's that simple a choice.

  There are still a few features/procedures in PMMail that I would
  like to see in PMINews (did BoB take a few shortcuts?), but that's
  for a later time.

  Meanwhile, let's keep the ball rolling.

--
   Phil Kane