[pmmail-list] PMMail 2.20 as a bulk mailer?

Kenneth Porter pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 16:53:05 -0700

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 20:06:43 -0300, PMMail OS/2 Support wrote:

>Ken, I don't think it is conformant to Internet standards to have a
>blank To: field. If the To: field contains a dummy name, the server
>will bounce it back to you.

I get mail all the time with either no To field at all or an empty one.
Note that SMTP servers use the recipient address in the envelope, not
the message header, to deliver mail. When you send BCC, the message is
submitted once for each BCC recipient, with the recipient's name passed
in the envelope but not in the message header.

You may be correct that a missing To is not RFC-compliant. If that's
the case, then one can put a dummy value like "recipient name
suppressed" in there. I suppose the value could be a configuration
option.

Note the To field in this message. It gets to you even though it says
pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com. The To field is *not* used for
routing. It's only used by the initial user agent to figure out what to
put in the envelope recipient argument when talking to the SMTP server.

Ken
mailto:shiva@well.com
http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/
[If answering a mailing list posting, please don't cc me your reply. I'll take my answer on the list.]