[pmmail-list] Remote control

Paul Hodges pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 05 Feb 2001 09:09:11

On Mon, 05 Feb 2001 00:41:46 -0800, Curtis Delzer wrote:

>   I wonder how the commands sent to the pop server changes with regard
>  to the state of the checkbox, quick interrogation on or off...

I think one of the things that quick interrogation does is assume
that the messages in the POP mailbox retain the same order on
successive logins - or something like that.  The ability to turn it
off was added to cope with my ISP (Demon in the UK) whose POP
mailboxes specifically do not retain their order on successive
logins.  This means that requested operations must verify the UID of
the message to be operated on, and (usually) search the rearranged
message box for the UID identifying the message required to be
fetched or deleted.

At present this search is done for each operation independently - it
would speed things up a lot for me if the message number to UID
mappings discovered during each search were stored and accumulated
between operations during the same login.

Paul Hodges
QBS Software Ltd