[pmmail-list] 2.20.2100

John M Price PhD pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:01:00 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, PMMail OS/2 Support wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:08:01 -0800 (PST), John M Price PhD wrote:
>
> >PDF was not assigned, so I assigned it.  It does not go where I tell it
> >- it gives me a Win3.1 error.  The settings are:

> >PDF
> >
> >MIME Type:
> >application/pdf
>
> You probably are getting PDF attachments that are MIME type
> "application/octet-stream". Unfortunately some of the default MIME

Yep, I suspect you are right on there.  This is most likely what they'd be
called in the mail headers.

> types that ship with the old PMMail/2 are for files of type
> "application/octet-stream" (but completely different file extensions)
> and they point to Win-OS/2 applications. Find anything that refers to
> MIME types with "application/octet-stream" and remove or change them.

There was a Word Processig File which went to an entirely wrong windows
place.  Deleting this fixed the problem, and I would suspect fixed all the
other weirdness with spawning I had had in the past.

Thanks.

I still think that perhaps a lookup of the db would be better than simply
relying on the headers, though.  Knowing the theing is MIME octet stream
is fine for decoding the attachment, but the file type should be used for
spawning the viewer.

--
John M. Price, PhD                                     jmprice@calweb.com
Life: Chemistry, but with feeling!      |      PGP Key on request or FTP!