[pmmail-list] PMMail/2 cannot read Hotmail mail properly

Lueko Willms pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 18:50:57 +0100 (MEZ)

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001 09:54:52 -0500 (EST), Samuel Audet wrote:

> >   PMMail _does_ use 8-Bit-encoding, but it disregards the specified
> > charset and uses the current codepage, unless a specific
> > transfer-encoding is specified. But the decisive distinction is not
> > the transfer encoding, but the charset. I see this as a bug.
>
> I'm not sure if it's a bug or not, but when transfer encoding of 8 bit
> is added to the header everything works fine.  So if the default
> encoding is set to 8 bit in PMMail/2 code, everything is going to work
> fine, with no suprise bugs appearing... :)

   When the program assumes 7-bit-encoding as the default, it should
strip the eighth bit or display some replacement character, but not
assume that everyhing goes fine, and rely on the IBM PC Code Page in
effect.

   And when there is a Charset Header specifying some 8-bit
characters set, PMMail should be aware of this charset and display it
accordingly.

   Content-transfer-encoding cannot be the prime criterion.

Yours,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt/Main
/ Lueko.Willms@T-Online.de