[pmmail-list] Re: Suggestion: RMB save new message here

Maynard Riley pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 14 Jan 2001 11:25:57 -0600 (CST)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Kris.
I'll continue the dialog within context below.
For context I'll note that I've been using PMMail/2 since it was first
publicly available; and I have a _lot_ of folders, filters, and accounts; but
have not worked with REXX.

On Sat, 13 Jan 2001 13:43:49 -0800 (PST), Kris Sorem Sr wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Dec 2000 09:35:14 -0600 (CST), Maynard Riley wrote:
>
>>I'd like to see the ability to RMB on a folder, have a popup entry for
>>'New Message', which message is saved to the selected folder rather
>>than the Sent folder, and bypassing filters for outgoing post-send
>>filters.
>
>IMO, adds overhead coding for a feature that already exists. Why bypass
>outgoing post-send filters? PMMail is a very flexible, powerful program
>with ICSL and Rexx support. Every user has a unique circumstance. ICSL and
>Rexx permits users to tailor it to their circumstance. Coding for those
>circumstances adds unneeded overhead and reduces flexibility.

I would never suggest something which would reduce flexibility; and I
wouldn't expect that anyone else would either. If you are included in two or
more of my working groups, the only way filters or REXX scripts can determine
which to group my message is associated would be some other clue or trigger
probably in the subject or body; and this clue would have to be rather
specific or the filter/coding incredibly complex in order to achieve the
desired result of filing my outbound message into the appropriate folder.
Context sensitive (object oriented) programming is advanced enough these days
to enable an additional feature or two on the RMB popup for any application
object, in this case a message folder. As the user, I'd like to configure a
number of different, some 'default' things for any message folder object. One
of which is a check option to save the message to the folder rather than pass
it through the account filters. Another would be to use different From and
Reply-To names in the outbound headers. These are features which currently
don't exist. A REXX hook could work on these, but it would need to know from
which folder the message was launched. Or Peter could code and compile these
features into the program.

>>The inspiration for this is that several of my regular contacts are
>>involved in different projects which I store in project folders rather
>>than by person. There are 'work arounds' of course, but I thought to
>>toss the idea out here for broad consideration.
>
>You must have some criteria for storing a message in a particular project
>folder. Create an incoming and outgoing post-send joint filter using that
>criteria. Place the filter ahead of other filters that check by person.

I have 13 accounts in PMMail now; the primary one has 79 root level folders
and a total of 289 folders; there are 132 filters for this account. The whole
operation could use a "cleaning" ;-}

>>A feature which could be added to this capability would be to have a
>>different 'template' for each folder, with pre-selected default
>>distribution lists, greeting, sig, etc.
>
>This amounts to the equivalent of a mailing list for each folder. If you
>need mailing list features, use already existing programs that work with
>or without PMMail. PMMail doesn't need mailing list features built into
>it.

When I said "distribution lists" I was not intending to exclude single
recipient. If the program were coded to allow me to preset From and Reply-To
fields for each folder object, it may as well allow me to preset an address
book, group, one or more individuals, while it's at it.

Object Oriented Programming is a Good Thing.

	`~Maynard