[pmmail-list] Feature Request: Encrypt when key present

John Bridges pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 05:31:09 -0800

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 14:18:04 +0100, Stefan Kirch wrote:

>But I also think, that it's very useful to activate every time PGP,
>when there is a key available when composing new messages.

ehhh, this gets into the area of a real feature... I don't know of anything
inside PMMail that checks ahead of time for a PGPKey.  I believe on OS/2 it
executes PGP.EXE in order to do all PGP operations, do you want it to execute
PGP.EXE each time you add an address to a message?

Plus what do you do when you address a message to multiple recipients where
some have keys and some don't. You have to keep track of all that. And what
if you save it as a draft, and then open it up again (you'd have to check all
those keys again).

I don't ask for features like that because it's real work for someone, and
I'm trying to be realistic about the development status of PMMail.  Same
reason, I don't touch all the ideas that require redoing the format of the
address book (adding new fields would require that).

I'll be satisfied if the major bugs are fixed (most glaring is the SMTP
timeout problem in the Beta), and the PGP button is clicked by default when
replying to a PGP'd message.

Although it would be nice if I could read the text of messages that were sent
at HTML with graphics attachments.  I have a few people who now sent me mail
with Outlook, and include a company logo with each message, so PMMail gets
confused, and I have to read the raw message with all headers to find the
real text buried in this mass of junk.  Is that a bug?  Ehhh, I'll call it a
feature request. I don't care about the HTML or graphic image, just don't
loose the text.