[pmmail-list] Feature Request: Encrypt when key present

Robert Dahlem pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 00:47:09 +0100

John,

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 05:31:09 -0800, John Bridges wrote:

>>But I also think, that it's very useful to activate every time PGP,
>>when there is a key available when composing new messages.
>
>ehhh, this gets into the area of a real feature... I don't know of
>anything inside PMMail that checks ahead of time for a PGPKey.  I
>believe on OS/2 it executes PGP.EXE in order to do all PGP operations,
>do you want it to execute PGP.EXE each time you add an address to a
>message?

I would want it to have a look into the public key ring. Just like the
Windows version does.

>Plus what do you do when you address a message to multiple recipients
>where some have keys and some don't.

Is that really the situation we talk about? We are talking about
replying to encrypted messages and your are talking about a message with
a bunch of recipients. This is "missing the topic".

This discussion really sucks! :-( They should make PMMail reply
encrypted by default to encrypted messages (we both seem to agree on
that). If you add recipients afterwards, PMMail can complain about
missing public keys in your key ring early enough (just as it does
today).

If PMMail complains, you still have the option to gather the missing
keys and retry or send it unencrypted.

>You have to keep track of all that. And what if you save it as a draft,
>and then open it up again (you'd have to check all those keys again).

You only have to check when you try to send it. While it is a draft
there is only one valid encryption recipient and that's yourself.

>I don't ask for features like that because it's real work for someone,
>and I'm trying to be realistic about the development status of PMMail.

>Same reason, I don't touch all the ideas that require redoing the
>format of the address book (adding new fields would require that).

The is NO NEED to change the format of the address book. The address
book has nothing to do with PGP!

>I'll be satisfied if the major bugs are fixed (most glaring is the SMTP
>timeout problem in the Beta), and the PGP button is clicked by default
>when replying to a PGP'd message.

That's it! The rest is already handled perfectly.

Regards,
        Robert

Robert.Dahlem@gmx.net           Fax +49-69-432647

Sent using PMMail (http://www.pmmail2000.com) - fast, decent, email
software; far better than Outlook. Try it sometime.