[pmmail-list] Feature Request: Encrypt when key present

John Bridges pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 19:58:59 -0800

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 00:47:09 +0100, Robert Dahlem wrote:

>>>But I also think, that it's very useful to activate every time PGP,
>>>when there is a key available when composing new messages.
>>
>>ehhh, this gets into the area of a real feature... I don't know of
>>anything inside PMMail that checks ahead of time for a PGPKey.  I
>>believe on OS/2 it executes PGP.EXE in order to do all PGP operations,
>>do you want it to execute PGP.EXE each time you add an address to a
>>message?
>
>I would want it to have a look into the public key ring. Just like the
>Windows version does.

Is there a PGP API for OS/2 for PMMail to use?  Again, I'm under the
impression that PMMail for OS/2 uses PGP.EXE (running it as a command line
tool in the background each time it needs to do any sort of PGP operation).
Not much you can expect them to do about that....

>>Plus what do you do when you address a message to multiple recipients
>>where some have keys and some don't.
>
>Is that really the situation we talk about? We are talking about
>replying to encrypted messages and your are talking about a message with
>a bunch of recipients. This is "missing the topic".

I thought we were talking about the request to have PMMail "know" which
addresses have keys ahead of time, so that it would only turn on the PGP
button if it "knows" ahead of time the recipient has a key. I was going into
all the complications that request raises.

>>Same reason, I don't touch all the ideas that require redoing the
>>format of the address book (adding new fields would require that).
>
>The is NO NEED to change the format of the address book. The address
>book has nothing to do with PGP!

I was addressing the request to add a new button to the address book to send
all mail to that address with PGP.