[pmmail-list] Feature Request: Encrypt when key present

Rod... Whitworth pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 07:55:35 +1100 (EDT)

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 10:37:03 +0100 (MEZ), Andreas Ludwig wrote:

>Why not use two or more adressbooks? PMMail could still be compatible
>to the old format but offer new features for an addr_ext.db. This
>should make shared addressbooks over the LAN possible as well. Only
>problem: How to handle the display all the different 'books' (as they
>are now) spread to various 'real' addressbooks? (seamless -> what about
>equal names? / like PMINews displays different grouplists -> quite
>usable IMHO, but not very nice looking)

A good question! BSW has to decide soon whether or not they want to do business with business and of all the
things that are talked about as feature requests/bugs/ wishlist items here by endusers with one copy of PMmail
(or maybe one per platform) the address book deficiencies are the big show stopper for business.

I'm not saying BSW should not listen to and respond to loyal individuals who are on this list but this is not
where serious new business will originate.

A new address book format will not break the news program if there is a utility to generate a news address
book from others however my business users are refusing to buy any more licences until BSW provides a business
solution. I have had to massage the present format by hand merging databases etc and I can't charge much if
anything for it because I recommended the PM product and in some cases supplied it.

No matter what other features they will lose by moving from PMMail these users are close to migrating to
something like Eudora at the low end and to Visualizer and Notes as you go up the scale. The latter 2 add some
other function for the extra money of course.

I wonder how many business customers (other than one-man-bands) PMMail has? Maybe it is just too hard and BSW
is prepared to stick with the one-off sales. I just wish they would say whether or not they care about
business customers................