[pmmail-list] Signatures - feature request

Rod... Whitworth pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 01 Mar 2001 13:59:50 +1100 (EDT)

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 11:16:51 -0400, PMMail OS/2 Support wrote:

>Shrug. Have a look around usenet, do a search on "sig convention" or
>something. It's probably been a convention since before you got on
>the 'net. (It was a convention long before _I_ got on the 'net.)

First shrug off your assumptions:
I joined IBM 40 years ago. I've been using electronic mail for quite a few years
before the net was invented and it became email and then continued on the
Internet. I don't usually trot out my seniority but I don't like being
patronised by somebody who probably wasn't born when I started. But that is an
assumption too just a higher probability one. ~|^

My point was that any MTU that breaks if that "convention" (more honoured in the
breach than the observance) is not followed needs fixing.

Particularly refer to RFC1122 "Requirements for Internet Hosts - Communication
Layers", the bit about the Robustness Principle (Section 1.2.2 IIRC)

In the beginning was The Word
and The Word was Content-type: text/plain
The Word of Rod.