[pmmail-list] Problem when changing time zones

Rodney R. Korte pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 22 May 2001 20:53:26 -0400

On Mon, 21 May 2001 23:05:42 -0700, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:

>I don't know if this problem is specific to PMMail or to all Windows programs:
>
>I started PMMail downloading messages with my PC set to EST (Eastern time).  In the middle of the download, I changed
>the PC time zone to PST (Pacific time).  I did not exit PMMail.  When I sent messages, they had the correct local time (i.e.
>11 p.m.) with the old time zone offset (Eastern, -0400 instead of Pacific, -0700).  Upon exiting and restarting PMMail, the
>problem was corrected.

This is a result of how the PMMail (and probably most programs)
are written.  The time zone offset is checked only once during
execution (during startup, probably).  For a value that changes
only twice a year, this seems like a very reasonable thing to do.

--
Rodney R. Korte                   OS/2. Operate at a higher level.
rkorte@psu.edu                 ---> MIME, PGP (at URL below) welcome.