[pmmail-list] URL Address Book for PMMail?

Kenn Yuill pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 16:43:43 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Kenneth Porter,

I favour modular software as well, but I'm afraid the possibility of a
modular browser died with Web Explorer and is gone forever.
A hook to the Bookmark file in Navigator would be nice, but none of the
e-mail clients in OS/2 implemented the "mail-to" hook for Navigator
that was provided a number of years ago, so I don't hold out much hope
that this concept will gain any momentum.
However, a utility from a third party is a good idea, if it could work
seamlessly with PMMail/2 and Navigator and the users wanted it.  This
is very doubtful, based on the interest generated by the original
message.

My thought was that all the tools were available in PMMail now and only
needed some slight modification.  This approach looked like the easiest
way to go, but perhaps it is a case of too much work for too little or
no demand.
So be it, the subject is dead.

Thanks for your input.

Ciao,
    Kenn
The Original E-mail below, sent by Kenneth Porter on Mon, 22 Oct 2001
12:26:47 -0700 to pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com, stated:

I favor modularity, to keep bugs isolated and keep each client
feature-rich in its own domain. Don't tie up PMMail developer
resources
with something that belongs in the web browser. It's enough that
PMMail
can launch the browser. Let the browser worry about URL management
beyond that.

At most, PMMail might provide a hook for bookmark saving, and a
suitable menuitem in PMMail can invoke that hook. The hook can then
launch a browser with suitable arguments, or invoke a 3rd party
utility
to do any further processing.

Ken
  Always act as if life is a joyous journey.
    Kenn Yuill    Warp 4.0/FP10    Java 1.18
        PMMail/2 2.1 Demo.  Communicator 4.61
            The Beautiful Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
               - A Thought for Today -
He who laughs last thinks slowest.