[pmmail-list] PMMail mystery process pegs CPU

Carl Gehr pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 03 Sep 2001 18:10:41 -0400 (EDT)

Trevor, I think you missed my point.

I do not doubt that you think the release is clean.  BUT, when you find
out that it is NOT clean, a simple list on the Web site that says:
	"Here are things we've found to be a problem,
	 but for which fixes are not yet available..."

This would allow someone to make an informed decision.  "Do I care
about that problem?
  a) No, so I'll try the beta because it has some other
     fixes I need.
  b) Yes, I care and the open problem is worse than the
     unfixed issues.

As someone who was around long enough to remember when the term 'beta'
was coined, 'beta' means a product or code that has not been through a
complete production test; i.e., An admission that the code is not ready
for prime-time.

And, as a developer, I have a different level of confidence in a
package that I designate as 'beta' versus 'GA' code.  If this is not
the case with PMMail, then either:
1)  The 'beta' term is misapplied to code that has been through
exhaustive system and early user testing and it should be designated as
GA;
OR
2)  The code is still undergoing developer and internal testing, and it
is correctly being released for user testing with the caveat that it is
'beta.'
OR
3)  The code should have more testing done, but there is no more
testing planned and it is just being put out to see if it will sneak
by.

I am inclined to presume #2, since there is the further clarification
on the current Web "Download" site that says:

	"OS/2 - Version 2.10.2010"
		* * *
	"The current beta for PMMail for OS/2 is
	2.20.2370 is available. . ."
So, someone must not have the confidence in any release since 2.10.2010
to call it other than 'beta.'  The 'why' is not for me to determine.
And, since there is no detail available about how the designation is
applied, I could not determine even if I wanted to.

Thus, I must stick by my earlier statements...  No offense intended.
Just a statement of position and the rationale behind them.

Carl