[pmmail-list] Bug report

David Forrester pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 08:41:02 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 03 Sep 2001 19:41:48 -0700 (PDT), Kris Sorem Sr wrote:

>>> Ummm, why would you want to do this _after_ changing main window folder
>>> view. It would seem logical to open another message in the new folder or
>>> _not_ change the main window folder view. "View the message above the
>>> current message" is for navigating the same folder as the open message
>>> _not_ a new folder.
>>
>>Let's say I have got a new mail and wondering about that. Or want to
>>check something in a different mail. Anyway I am not a robot to do
>>everything linearly.
>
>I open another message in another folder all the time. I just don't expect
>to use the navigational arrows in the open message to navigate a folder
>that is not the source folder for the message in focus. Would you expect
>your command line processor to act on a file in this manner ie open a file
>from a foreign directory with no reference in your path statement?
>
>The navigational arrows provided by PMMail in an open message window are
>there for easier navigation of the source folder. PMMail should deactivate
>these toolbar buttons if the source folder is changed or PMMail should
>store the path information of the open message when it creates temporary
>header and body files.

This bug has been there for a while and I've known about it for months.
 And I keep getting bit by it.  While it doesn't make sense to hit the
next/previous button or key after changing folders, I still do it.  The
scenario is that I'm reading a list (like this) by pressing F12,
change to the inbox to look at the latest non-filtered mail but leave
the one I was reading opened, read (ie delete) my new mail, go back to
the open mail window and press F12.  PMMail/2 disappears.  And it
always takes me a few moments to remember why.

What was missing from the original report is that you have to have
"Skip read mail on next/previous" checked in the preferences.  Uncheck
this and it doesn't crash.

Also, there could be a justification for saying that it goes to the
next one in the current folder.  I don't think that I want this to
happen.  I'd prefer the mail window to simply close.

--
David Forrester
davidfor@terrigal.net.au