[pmmail-list] "Leave Mail On Server" problem.

Paul Hodges pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 23:39:09 +0100

On Sat, 20 Apr 2002 17:11:48 -0400, Steve Barber wrote:

>Interesting ... does that mean that we'd only need to turn off the
>Quick Interrogation property on machines where we wanted to leave
>mail on server?

I think so, but I turn it off for all machines anyway.  It produces
wrong effects both with my ISP (Demon in the UK), and with my office
mailserver (Weasel for OS/2)

>I assume that Quick Interrogation has some speed advantage that could
>still be obtained if you were not leaving your mail on the server,
>right?

It assumes that the mail on the server is always presented in age
order.  This is not true on Demon (because the order at a particular
login is essentially random, as the messages are spread over several
servers and the list is formed asynchronously), nor on Weasel (because
although messages are always presented in the same - filename - order,
a new message may be added in any position as the file names are
randomly generated).  In these cases it is necessary for the client to
get the UID of every message to compare with those it has already
fetched, so yes, it's slower then quick interrogation.

The quick method was the only one in earlier versions of PMMail, and it
took several of us independently a long time to get it across to BoB
and Icon that it didn't always work - that's why it is still the
default, I guess.

Paul Hodges
QBS Software Ltd