[pmmail-list] OS/2 PMMail issues

Gregory L. Marx pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 10:47:50 -0500 (EST)

On 16 Mar 2002 09:01:12 -0600, Marc Lewis wrote:

<snip>

>From all appearances it is a lost cause.  They _apparently_
>don't care about their paid customers.  IMO, they should remove
>the OS/2 version from their registerable program list or make it
>FreeWare.

I'm sure they do care ... in as much as they can ... which is very little ...
It's certainly not BSW's fault that the OS/2 market went tits-up ...

I'm not defending them mind you ... I just think there's two different issues at play here ...

One is that they almost have no choice but to focus exclusively on the Windows market ...
That's where the bulk of their money is to be made ... And bottom-line is that BSW is a business ...
So while it disappoints me that they are dropping PMMail for OS/2 ... IMO it is understandable ...

What DOES trouble me is how they don't have the balls to be upfront about it ... that's issue number two ...

I remember back in the "day" when Thomas Bradford used to bend over backwards for OS/2 users ...
And I know he still would if he could ... but from a business standpoint OS/2 is pretty much dead ... I know that flies in the face of what
Serenity Systems is doing with eCS but the way I see it is that eCS is being pushed more to the business segment ... Whereas BSW is more
of a consumer-based software vendor ...

One bright spot in this latest news is Peter's mentioning of Linux being supported ...
For me personally, on the day that eCS/OS2 is considered no longer viable I'll be migrating over to Linux ...
And knowing that PMMail might just be available is a comfortable thought ... I haven't seen too many Linux email clients that impress me ...

Finally, I do agree that BSW should remove the OS/2 version from their site ...
Or at the very minimum BOLDLY note on the site that the version being sold is the last version and is now unsupported ...

Otherwise I think they border on being liable for fraud ...
Software purchased has ALWAYS been looked at as a ongoing future enterprise at the time it was bought ...
Very seldom has it been considered a "one-time" business transaction ...

IMO ...

Greg