[pmmail-list] OS/2 PMMail issues

Gregory L. Marx pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 19:18:07 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 16 Mar 2002 23:25:29, Xav wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Mar 2002 17:41:27 -0500 (EST), Gregory L. Marx wrote:
>

>>PMMail wasn't written inhouse ...
>>It was bought from SouthSide Software ...
>
>I am fully aware of where it came from, I have used it for years.   However, it is now inhouse to BSW/BMT

I've used it myself for years ... Since back in the Warp 3 days ...

>>It's only NOW being re-written ...
>>And we have no way of knowing just how much is completed ...
>
>AFAIAC, the OS/2 version is now dead from the comments I have read recently.    I have seen Steve Wendt's post re Peter Nielsen being
pay "zero" to rewrite the
>Windows version.  That I find strange as it is a commercial app.   However, this being the case, it looks that even the Windows version is a
part-time project.  So
>anyone looking for lots of development better look elsewhere.

It may be a commercial app but there's not much of a market for a emailer ...
Not when Internet Explorer has 80% marketshare ... and Outlook/Outlook Express is part of IE and Office ...

>[Please note - I use both the OS/2 and Windows version as I bought each and am prefectly happy with them]

I am as well ...
But what's going to happen in a year or two when things change ???
Already standard POP access is becoming old hat ... There's new-n-improved protocols coming down the road ...
And with the demise of PMMail/2 where does that leave us ???  Reliant on the open-source Mozilla Project ???

With every software death things get just that much bleaker for us diehards ...

Greg