[pmmail-list] Yahoo Changes

PMMail OS/2 Support pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 12:40:55 -0400

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 08:11:26 -0800, Mike Young wrote:

>There is another alternative. You can go to
>http://www.godaddy.com    and get your own
>domain name. I think they charge around $8.95
>per year and you can buy multiple years. Unlike
>some others, you actually own your domain
>name. Always make sure you own it no matter
>where you get it from.
>
>After this is done you can go to
>http://www.zoneedit.com   and, for free, you
>can forward your new domain name to any
>URL of your choice if you want a web page.

Or, for a small amount more, you can have web site and email,
permanent access/ownership, ability to change things any time, add
new email addresses, get your mail via the web, etc.

godaddy.com: $8.95/yr for domain registration (as above)
WebHostingDirect.net: $4.95/yr for domain hosting (20 meg disk space,
5Gig transfer limit, 10 Pop3 email accounts, "control panel", web
mail, and lots more). See the "Unix starter plan".

In other words, paying Yahoo $33/yr for an @yahoo.com account is
foolish when for less than half that (US$13.90/yr) you can OWN your
own domain, have a web site, 10 "real" email addresses (i.e. with
their own login/passwords), unlimited email "aliases" (ones that get
forwarded to a "real" email box), access to your mail through your
POP3 mail client (like PMMail) OR through the web (not as fancy an
interface as Yahoo, but...), no annoying advertisements on your mail
-- plus, it's just cool to own your own domain. :-)

--
Trevor Smith
PMMail/2 Technical Support