[pmmail-list] FIXED! [was Re: 5 minutes to open address book!]

Robert Traynor (BobT) pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 05 May 2002 10:19:46 +1000

Hi Jimmy,

This subject is one that plagues me occassionally.
It only occurrs after I have used the windows version of PmMail (very latest)
and then enter into os/2 and run the os/2 version (also latest).

I now suspect slight incompatibility between the 2 versions in this respect.
As well as a bug in the windows version.

Jimmy, from a much earlier email of mine to this list:-
=========quote on===================

My Pmmail/2 had multiple duplicates in the address book.

Every time I closed the address book and then closed PmMail/2
and then reopened PmMail/2,, the address book entries were
duplicated.  ie Each launch of PmMail/2 and subsequent reopening of
the address book, resulted in one additional duplicate of the
existing entries.

I ended up with 7 dupes at one stage.
I fixed it by highlighting all the extras and deleting all but one of them.
The first time I did this it did not work.
Previously I had highlighted all except the top of the listing.

So I figured I would leave the unhighlighted (not deleted ones)
at the bottom of the address book listing.  This worked.!

Now after much opening and closing of both PmMail/2 and its address
book, I finally have only ONE of each entries..

I have NEVER seen any os/2 problem like this.  Is it a known problem.?

In the windows side of the system I am using the latest beta
version 2.20.2475 of PMMail 2000 for Windows and I know I have
made corrections to the address book while using the windows version.

The even stranger thing was that in the whole address book, all
but 4 entries where being duplicated.  The 4 that were uneffected
were entries made while using the windows version.!

All is well so far.  Anyone know what happened.?
=========quote off===================
TIA
BobT.

On Sat, 04 May 2002 16:07:42 -0300, PMMail OS/2 Support wrote:

> On Sat, 04 May 2002 14:14:46 -0400, Andrew Webber wrote:
>
> >Can anyone suggest how the Addr.db got screwed up?  If it were in
> >there 10 times maybe it was something I did, but NOT 131,072
> >times!! :(
>
> Oh no, I think this is obviously user error. It's clear that you
> entered the name all 131,000 times yourself. :-)
>
> (just kidding, of course)
>
> There have been weird issues like this with the address book in the
> past but it's rare and, as far as I know, we haven't been able to pin
> down what causes rampant address cloning. I've filed this away though
> so next time someone says PMMail has slowed down, I'll tell them to
> check the address book. Thanks!
>

> --
> Trevor Smith
> PMMail/2 Technical Support
> pmmailos2@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
>
> - pmmail-list - The PMMail Dicussion List ---------------------------
> To POST to the list, send your message to:
> pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com

> line of the message body being...

   ,-._|\       Robert Traynor        (BobT)
 /  Oz  \      email            rtraynor@netstra.com.au
 \_,--.x/