[pmmail-list] Spam -- your definition

John Swartzentruber pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 31 May 2002 17:53:46 -0400

On Fri, 31 May 2002 17:57:01 -0300, PMMail OS/2 Support wrote:

>But since we don't all have the
>same definition for "spam" I suppose it is possible that one of us
>would accept some activites while another might condemn them.\

I find it a little odd that we don't have the same definition. To me,
if it is unsolicited and it is bulk, it is spam. The bulk part is
critical, of course, if you want to connect the word back to its
earlier roots (excessive cross-posting on usenet was how I first
encountered it in the 80's).

Commercial has nothing to do with it. If someone sends out thousands of
messages telling me how to vote, it isn't commercial, but it is still
spam.

Forged headers have nothing to do with it. Even if the spammer is open
about who is sending the spam, it is still spam. Clearly, however,
making forged headers in spam illegal is a logical first step.

I think the real difficulties and gray areas are within the definition:

1. what is unsolicited? If I visit a website, have a solicited contact?
If I purchase something?

2. What is bulk?