[pmmail-list] 3rd attempt: How to set the subject of a canned reply? <==== Change yours, not mine!

L.Willms pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 20:31:15 +0100 (MEZ)

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 13:05:12 -0500 (EST), Carl Gehr wrote:

> My argument [THE POINT] is quite simple:
> 	You can put anything in the subject of the message that YOU
> SEND.
> 	Just do NOT change the Subject in what I sent you.

   He wants to give the replies sent out automatically using a "canned reply"
a sensible Subject. That is legitimate, in my view, and not covered by your
arguments.

   Another thing, which is nearer to what you argue about, is something I
tried: I participate in a Webforum which sends out an email for each new
message in the forum (when I select that option), containing forum the
message.

   The subject line is one of two possibilities: "New Message in Forum" or
"New Answer in Forum". I wanted to set the Subject to the subject of the forum
message, which is mentioned somewhere in the mail, so that the message list
makes more sense, giving information about the content of the message. I think
that this is also quite legitimate.

   A third example is even nearer to your argument, and both of us: the
mailing list server for this PMMail list changes the subject line for all
messages passing thru and adds a "[pmmail-list]" to it. Did you complain?

Yours,
Lüko Willms