[pmmail-list] problem with pm mail 6.60 and Norton

Steve Barber pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 03 Oct 2002 17:57:45 -0400

On Thu, 03 Oct 2002 07:55:49 -0700, Marty Rimpau wrote:

>Hi list, it use to be that when Norton would detect a virus, I could
>tell it to delete the offending message, and my messages would resume
>down loading, but now, what happens is that I get an error check error
>log message, and this means that let's say if I've down loaded 45
>messages out of 60, in order to avoid duplicate messages, I have to
>launch remote control, refresh the list, and arrow down to the message
>that was the virus, delete it, and hope that no new messages have come
>in, but it didn't work out this way today, and I got duplicate
>messages, and earlier version s of pm mail didn't stop just because a
>virus message was detected, but resumed where the messages left off.
>The only thing from the error log is this which doesn't help anything
>Thu, 03 Oct 02 07:24:49 ==> Error ; Server broke connection
>so, if possible, could you guys try and do something about this so I
>won't have to deal with duplicate messages, especially with the new
>virus that came out on Monday.  Thanks.
>Marty

I don't think this is only triggered by a virus ... I suspect it's
triggered by deviant html that either the server or the email client
can't handle.

Starting about 1 month ago, I started getting a LOT of crashes of my
email client (not just pmmail, but also Outlook) on downloading
certain messages.  PMMail would also crash on Remote operation.
Symptom seems to be that one particular email simply stops
downloading (no byte transfer activity at all) until the email client
finally crashes after a minute or so.  So, in my case, this may be an
indication that it's a server problem.

I've been getting around these by using my ISP's web mail access
(dead slow and boring, but it's the only way to dump the bad
messages).  I've always been able to dump the bad messages that way
by simply deleting all the SPAM before downloading the mail ... and
many times there is no indication that the SPAM is an infected piece
of mail (they are usually noticeable by their size).

An email to my ISP on the problem brought a "please check our help
pages" ... which of course, didn't say anyting about the problem ...

So, has anyone else encountered the problem ... starting about 1
month ago ... I really don't think it's pmmail's problem, but it's
taking away all the fun of email ... and making me want to support
capital punishment for SPAMers.

SteveB
Steve Barber
104 Sylvan Grove