[pmmail-list] Outward filter needed

Martin Moran pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 03 Sep 2002 18:56:25 -0600

On Tue, 03 Sep 2002 10:40:16 -0700, Tim Roberts wrote:

>But this forum does not consist of people who USE the "telephone".  It consists
>of power users who wish to offer advice on and influence the future development
>of the "telephone".  In order for that advice to be useful, one needs to know
>more about the "telephone" than just how to press 5551212.

I'm afraid to say that if it does not consist of people who "use the
telephone", but rather power users who could wire one in their sleep,
then PMMail as a product has too limited a focus to be commercially
viable.  If you think it is, give your head a shake.

I have used PMMail since my days with OS/2 2.1, which means that to
some, I am still a greenhorn.  Those "some", those few, SHOULD NOT BE
PMMAIL'S TARGET AUDIENCE.  If they are, PMMail is doomed to commercial
failure no matter how wonderful a product is.  There just aren't enough
"power users" out there to cover the development costs.  PMMail's
target should be My Ficticious Uncle George, who has heard that he
shouldn't use Outlook Express because of "all the viruses written for
it" (his words, not mine).

My Ficticious Uncle George likes to think he knows a thing or two about
computers.  He isn't too fond of Microsoft's product instability, and
is kind of scared of OE.  MFUG also likes to have software that runs a
lot FASTER than OE.  He's BSW's prime candidate.

No, I'm not a power user.  No, I haven't read the RFC.  But I am a
customer, or potential customer, of BSW's product.  I can make
referrals, both pro and con, to My Ficticious Uncle George.  I can also
make suggestions that improve usability of PMMail, some of which are
actually taken under advisement - all because I use the freaking thing
every day.

I've seen lots of posts here about "what my perfect mail reader would
have" and similar subjects.  I didn't realize that my opinion of what
could make a mail reader great would require a minimum of a Bachelor's
degree in computer science to have any validity.  Considering I would
consider shelling out money for this e-mail program, when I could just
as easily use Outlook Express and set it up to avoid most of it's
pratfalls, I think that BSW may actually want my input.  You know,
being a user with money and all.

Silly me.

Who's next on the soapbox?  I'm done with it now...

--
Martin Moran                 ommoran@telusplanet.net
Edmonton, Alberta            e-mail for my PGP key

"When you're caffeinated, all is right with the world"