[pmmail-list] PMMail suggestions

J Seder pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 23:08:56 -0700

For the record, I think PMMail is the best e-mail client available
today.  But since the first two changes below - both trivial - still
haven't gotten into recent builds, I would like to repeat my PMMail
wish-list...  I'm sure some of you think many of these are suboptimal
suggestions, but maybe they can be configurable or just not used if you
don't like them...  My comments apply to Windows 2.20.2634.

1. Please, please remove that incredibly irritating and pointless
"Filtering Complete" dialog box which appears after invoking manual
filters - I must see that fifty times a day.

2. With the Address Book Tools / "Search addresses" feature, when focus
is on the "For:" field, pressing Enter should start a search, just like
Alt-F.  You shouldn't have to separately move the mouse to "Find" and
click, or think to press Alt-F.  Also, Esc should dismiss the "Search
Addresses" dialog.

3.  If I save a draft, it gets reflowed and line breaks are inserted -
unless I remember to change the "Word Wrap" option to "No Wrap".  When
I later reopen the message to revise it further, I must remove all the
breaks...  Can you force "Word Wrap" to "No Wrap" whenever any message
is saved as a draft?

4. If I cut text with a trailing newline and then paste it, the
trailing newline is lost.  This makes moving paragraphs around
something of an adventure.

5.  Name lookup should be easier.  I suggest that as you type any
string into the To: or Cc: boxes, *all* the matches should appear in a
combo box.  I have 521 addresses in my book, and it's really painful to
find someone by name.  And no, I don't want to have to remember 521
aliases.  How about integrating the PMMail address book into my Palm
desktop .ABA files?

6. Please put the "Manual Filters" option at the top of the "Message"
menu bar, if the user has defined Manual Filters.  I only use the
Message menu bar to get to "Manual Filters" - all the other Message
menu options are more easily accessed in other ways, but you have to
hit it to get Manual Filters.

7.  When any text is highlighted in the message edit or view windows,
the RMB popup menu should always offer "Explore URL", "Mail to
Address", and "Save to address book" - even when you're composing, and
even when the highlighted text doesn't contain @ or http or whatever
your parser wants.  Sometimes the parser doesn't get it right, and
sometimes I want to add friendatdomaindotcom (i.e. someone trying to
avoid spam) into my address book.  And when I do select "Explore URL",
you should flash it to acknowledge that you have launched the browser -
sometimes it takes a few seconds for those to start, and in that
interval I usually try again and again...

8.  Can you offer a mechanism that makes it easier to have a manual
filter work against multiple e-mail messages?  (perhaps with a
more/last flag, or with all selected message filepaths saved into a
file).

9. How about a remote control mechanism that would let you change
Preferences - notably  "Leave Messages On Server" - by sending an
e-mail message to the PMMail client?  When I travel I change my home
computer's PMMail setup to leave messages on the server (with active
filters that delete most junk from the server) - but sometimes I forget
to change this, and as a result I can't get any e-mail.  It would be
great if I could change this preference remotely.

10. Windows PMMail would benefit from a large "Mail Waiting" status
indicator, a la OS/2.

11.  Is it possible to include headers in replies, if they are shown in
the view window?

12. Lateral movement of the bar between To: and Cc:/Bcc:, or horizontal
scrolling of these windows would be a very nice touch.  I often can't
read the whole "To:" address, and I rarely use Cc:/Bcc:.

13. For the message list, a compact date/time display format would be
nice, and it would be good to use color rather than real estate (i.e. a
separate column) so show "Read Status."

14. Is there any way to generate a list of orphaned or unknown files?
Or have a utility that cleans things up and makes indexes and message
count files consistent?  Sometimes I manually delete all the messages
in the a folder...  but when I'm done, the folder list icon will say
that I have an unread message.  Reindex does not clear this.