[pmmail-list] Changing options in Outlook

John Angelico pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 06 Dec 2003 11:53:46 +1100 (AEDT)

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 09:01:36 -0500, deadlist@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
wrote:

>Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 08:43:38 -0500 (EST)
>From: "W. J. Myles" <wjmyles@pipcom.com>
>Subject: Smime.p7s
>
>Hi
>
>Someone has recently started sending me messages that show up blank
>in PMMail with 2 attachments - unnamed attachment1.att and smime.p7s.
> From the headers it would appear that they are using Outlook
>Express.  Opened in a browser the message is still blank.  Renaming
>the .att file sometimes gives a .jpg sometimes a .txt file that
>appears to contain HTML but doesn't display properly in the browser.
>
>When I write to complain what settings in OE should I suggest be
>changed?

I suggest that you build a little Canned Reply with something like the
following:

[Qoute]
PS: my anti-virus and anti-spam software caught your email, since most
virus and spam operators are using HTML emails exclusively.

I recommend that you change to sending plain text emails and, if necessary,
you can use the site below to help configure your email program
appropriately:

http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
[\Quote]
The site is excellent for coverage of most Win mailers (where most of this
kind of problem originates) but also has quite a bit for others.

I have been doing this both automatically and manually for about 3 months
and the rate of false positives here has dropped away to almost nil.

This I attribute to
a) the above
b) JunkSpy (www.junkspy.com/) regularly updating its detection filters
c) me adding the occasional local exception filter for good mail
and
d) me diligently bouncing both new junk examples and any false positives to
JunkSpy (as they request - so they can keep the black list and the white
list up to date)

PMMail filters make all of this so easy.

Best regards
John Angelico
OS/2 SIG
os2@melbpc.org.au or