[pmmail-list] long-time question

Dr. Jeffrey Race pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 08:15:06 -0500

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 19:10:40 +0100, Sorin Srbu wrote:

>You an american?

Yes, please forgive me.  In fact my mother was an Ericson.

>Do you ever mail to anybody outside the US?

I am not in the US and most of my correspondents are outside the
USA

>It's my observation that most ppl in the US use qp or 7b-ascii,
>quite possibly screwing it up for most mailers sensitive for
>char-translation settings (like PMM).

Please explain how it would be mutilated.   I am not an
expert on this at all, was just providing another datapoint,
and can only affirm that in ten years or so of using PMMail
in this way, no one has ever complained about the formatting
of my transmissions. (Plenty of complaints about content.)

>In fact, I've also seen ppl
>in sweden, where I live, that use qp and are quite surprised that
>the swedish national characters don't show up as expected on the
>other side. For instance our university mail-admin... <sigh...>
>
>QP is, AFAIK, obsolete and should not be used at all. 8b-settings
>tend to be better overall.

As an educational exercise I'd be pleased if you could devise
a test of different encodings so we could all educate ourselves.

I recall a while back someone did something like that on this
or another list. I received proper displays of European glyphs.

>My 5 =94re.

Use PayPal please.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey Race, today in Bangkok Thailand
 USA tieline (rings at Bangkok residence)
             TIME ZONE GMT +7

Tel +66 2 291-2235 (res) +66 2 279-6162 (ofc)
Fax +66 2 688-4540    (backup +66 2 271-4956)
Tel +66 6 709-7645      (mobile -- 24 hours)
Tel +66 6 563-5682     (mobile -- odd times)

         ADVENTURES IN THAI JUSTICE
    Cautionary real-life case studies for
       potential investors or visitors

       <http://pws.prserv.net/studies>