[pmmail-list] [mkc] Two copies out of sync, how to fix?

Andrew Webber pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:34:32 -0400

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 06:56:41 -0400, Mike Kilroy wrote:

>I also found that if you run Pmmail over the network from another
>computer location over a network, any changes to emails, i.e.,
>incoming, deleted, moved, etc., will not be reflected in the
>original computer's folders.  Say you delete 20 emails from
>another computer (using your normal account across the network).
>When you go back to your normal computer, the messages will
>still show in the lists until you re-index.  I figured this
>is because even though you are working in the correct directory
>over the network, Pmmail updates the indexes locally only.
>Anyway, we all know Pmmail is not network 'friendly' - yet?
>I sure would like to see this:)

I remember setting up PMMail to work across the network when I
first got the notebook, but I found it was really slow for some
operations (don't remember what).  I don't remember the indexing
problem but I think I may have had the desktop icon starting in
drive J: in which case wouldn't it think its local index files were
the ones on drive J:?

In the end, due to the slowness, I ended up with a local install on
each machine and using Vice Versa to "Update and Prune Target"
(copying everything over and deleting what's missing on the target)
each time I change machines.  It's worked okay until this past
weekend, when I foolishly downloaded new mail to the notebook
before forcing changes from the desktop.

andrew [awebber@wwwebbers.com]
ph 613-797-8123
fx 707-248-1491
------
For PGP public key, send email with "send public key" as subject