[pmmail-list] Incomplete email downloads

Larry Alkoff pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 09 Jun 2003 05:23:51 -0500

I am on quite a few email mailing lists and normally get about 300 emails daily.

For the past two months or so the mail downloads will fail frequently.
The failure usually takes the form of a stall at the "deleting message from server"
stage and then a time out with an error in the error log.

This is a problem because when I download again I get duplicates of all the
messages that were sucessfully downloaded from the previous run.

I believe this is an Austin TX RoadRunner problem because mail downloads normally complete OK
when I do them at 3 am but not during daylight hours when the traffic is heavier.
Of course it's a bit of a PITA to have to do mail at 3 am!

Typical errors I get are:
Socket error
Server broke connection
You are not authorized to use POP3

I am using the PMMail Professional program under Windows 98SE which was quite
reliable until recently.

Apparently when PMMail "deletes" an email from the server this does not physically take place
until the entire run for the account completes sucessfully but I don't know if this behavior is from
PMMail or RoadRunner.

I have tried the PMMail "remote connection" direct server connection but this seems even
more unreliable than a straight mail download.  That is, the download of mail by remote control
also fails at different spots.  In addition it takes far more time and attention since
it is necessary to mark each message to either download or delete after getting the list
of headers.

Could anyone shed some light on what is going on?

Thanks,
Larry Alkoff

Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX