[pmmail-list] Installer fails on Win2K

PBK Solutions pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 12:28:07 +0100

Hi folks,

I have permant trouble when trying to install PMMail's latest version.
But not only this, even when I try to reinstall version 2661 the
installer throws error messages.
I asked PMMail Support but they absolutely don't know anything about
that problem. The only answer I got was that it's a problem with rights
management and that the used installer is very outdated and that they
want to buy a newer one.

That is not my definition of support. I asked them to give me al list
of all the files which are replaced during installation. I never got
that list. I don't know why. Maybe the don't know it, too.

When running the installer as Admin, the following message appears:

---------------------
[PMMail 200 Installation Warning]

unInstaller setup failed to initialize. You may not be able to
uninstall this product

[OK]
---------------------

after pressing OK, the following message appears:

---------------------
[Not Enough Disk Space]

Not enough disk space on target drive while attempting to copy files.

To continue first free disk space on the target drive and then click
OK.

[OK] [Cancel]
----------------------

That's a really funny message. There are more than 10GB free on the
target drive. I can't believe that PMMail needs so much space in the
latest version ;-)

The whole system works fine. Installation of other software works, too.
Absolutely no problems - everything runs stable.

I tried to find out which files are accessed during installation using
the SysInternals Filemon. But if I don't know which acitvity belongs to
PMMail, it's impossible to find out what the problem is...

The installation on an other machine finished whithout problems. I bet
that this old PMMail Installer interferences with another installer and
fails.

Because of not having a list of the files which are necessary for
installation (thank you very much Blueprint! :-( ) it's not possible to
get closer to that problem.

Ah, that rights-management thing... When trying to install PMMail
withour administrative rights, the following message appears:

--------------------------
[PMMail 2000 Installation Error]

Because the PMMail 2000 installer may update system libraries, you must
be logged in with an account that has administrator privileges.
Currently, you do not have administrative privileges.
Please log in with an account that has administrator privileges and try
installing PMMail 2000 again.

[OK]

It has nothing to do with missing rights....

Support for PMMail was much better in that old PMMail 98 days where
Southsoft was really giving support to users...

I also tried to copy the whole PMMail directory to an other drive and
tried installation again, but to no avail - the same messages...

Maybe someone out there has an other idea...

Installed is PGP7.x free

I appreciate your answers,

    Pascal B. Kreil