[pmmail-list] "Deadlist"?

Dr. Martin R. Hadam pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 19:17:44 +0100

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 07:22:30 -0600 (CST), Maynard Riley wrote:

>I'm sure it's safe to say that nobody there is currently monitoring the
>list at all.

 Does this create a *real* problem? Not at all, imho. Just keep using
this list.

>It seems to me that they "officially"?? transferred their support from
>this list to their forums at
>http://www.pmmail2000.com/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi
>which aren't looking any better.

 There's no new OS/2-version from BSW in the offing and all that might
happen wrt to such a new beast will be done on sourceforge (with its
own dedicated discussion forum). So why would an OS/2 user want to join
their new forum?

>They could pull the plug on this list at any moment without notice.
>Does anybody want to host a replacement?

 They did not shut down the list for three months - why should they do
this now? By establishing a new list now you're almost inviting them
just to close it down soon. Last not least - by opening up yet another
list all you get is an even more fragmented user base. I'm waiting for
the day when there are more OS/2-related lists / fora than users.....

 Finally, should the list become unavailable some day - there's still
ample time to set up a new list. Preferable NOT on Yahoo because unless
you register with them, you DO get inundated with spam as their default
for email-only subscribers is NOT PRIVACY but "provide email address to
companies" [or whatever this option is being called].

 Martin

 Martin R. Hadam
 Kinderklinik - Medizinische Hochschule
 D-30623 Hannover