[pmmail-list] Life there somewhere!

Steve Ewing steve at qmss.com
Sun Feb 3 06:04:40 CET 2008

On 2/2/08, Michael Lueck <mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com> wrote:
> Simon wrote:
> > Me, I'm going to try to use a PMMail to Thunderbird converter once
> > circulated on this list by  Robert Dahlem (his website no longer
> > exists) to try to save my mail archives

I moved from PMMail2000 to TheBat! some time ago, and then from
TheBat! to Gmail.

My affection for PMMail shows, since I am still subscribed to this list.

I migrated from PMMail to TheBat! by hand, recreating the directory
structure and importing one directory at a time.  After a bit of trial
and error, I did it in a couple of hours.

What was great about TheBat! for moving to Gmail is that it can export
its mail as a Unix mail file.  I have access to a Unix POP3 server,
and so exported the mail in reasonable-sized chunks, copied them over
to the POP3 server, and let Gmail fetch them using POP.  This allowed
the original To:/From:/Date: to be preserved, rather than having to
bulk forward everything and having the true date and From: obscured.

TheBat! itself as a client is not bad at all; very much like PMMail in
display and ability to filter.  With PMMail I just got tired of
compensating for missing features.  The move to Gmail was both
because, using it at work, I grew to like it, and also to being bored
with running my own mail server for my domain.  Let someone else do
the work.

--
<steve at qmss.com>
http://www.qmss.com/~sewing