PGP problems

Trevor Smith pmmail@rpglink.com
Tue, 01 Aug 2000 21:09:05 -0300

On Tue, 01 Aug 2000 18:50:40 +0100, David Gaskill wrote:

>It may of course be that most of the members of this list are senior
>government  officials in sensitive posts or are able to cause the world's

I'm actually on Her Majesty's Secret Service right now.

>I can't think of any other reason for your suggestion that everybody
>should use PGP

There have been *TONS* of lists compiled of reasons why it makes
sense to use encryption, even if you have "nothing to hide". To
paraphrase, if you have nothing to hide, why not live without
curtains? Why not send postcards instead of letters?

Regardless of doing nothing wrong, some people don't want others to
know of their beliefs or actions because *others* are stupid,
obsessive, violent, intolerant, etc.

Suppose you are an atheist, think women should have the right to
choose about abortions, and believe that guns are basically bad. Some
people don't like to broadcast that sort of stuff (especially not on
the 'net) because, frankly, there are a lot of fruitcakes in the
world who get violent when you believe something they don't like.

--
 Trevor Smith          |          trevor@haligonian.com
 PGP public key available at: www.haligonian.com/trevor